4.2.08

Jen Reardon's Photo Story

In October 1991 at the age of 4, I dressed up as one of my dad's Pittsburgh Pirates baseball players for Halloween. My dad coached the Pirates for Coatesville Little League, and, as you can see, I was ready to run onto the field with my glove and play!

4 years later, at the age of 7, I finally got my wish and here I am with my Phillies teammates on Opening Day preparing to take the field for our T-ball game.

Unfortunately my passion for baseball didn't translate into athletic success on the field, but that didn't stop me from catching Major League Baseball games in person across the country. This is the first game I attended that wasn't in the Philadelphia area. Here I am on the platform between the New York Mets' Shea Stadium and the number 7 train in April 2001.

Continuing my east-west journey to Major League Baseball stadiums, this is the sausage race held at every Milwaukee Brewers home game during the bottom of the sixth inning. I really wanted to be one of the lucky few chosen to dress up in the costumes and participate in the race this past summer, but, alas, I was in the stands taking pictures instead.

Two to three hours south of Milwaukee's Miller Park is one of the most famous baseball stadiums in the country: Chicago's Wrigley Field. Even though my family and I are Cardinals fans, and, as such, are pretty much required to detest anything remotely having to do with the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley's bleachers, scoreboard, and atmosphere remain one of our favorites. Here are a few of the bleacher bums that remained after the game, a win over the Cardinals last year.

While I'm not sitting out in the bleachers in this photo, I am quite high up. The purple row of seats that goes all the way around the Colorado Rockies' Coors Field is exactly one mile above sea level, appropriate given Denver's nickname as the "Mile High City." While I usually can't afford the really good seats, I've definitely been closer to the field than this!

Probably the closest I've been to the field (not counting Little League!) would have to be this encounter I had with former St. Louis Cardinals left-handed reliever Steve Kline, who just happens to originally hail from Pennsylvania, too! It seems highly ironic that this meeting occurred at Pittsburgh's PNC Park since my dad coached the Pirates! PNC Park remains my favorite out of all the stadiums I've visited over the years, but I definitely plan on visiting at least one more this summer. Got any suggestions?

No comments: